Team's Weekly Activity

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Week 4 totals are due Sunday.

OK, we are almost at the end of our first month of training. This whole month has been on your own and many of you are doing a good job of keeping yourselves motivated and on task. Those of you that have been consistant with your running should be proud of yourselves.

We will be beginning organized practice on Tuesday, June 29th at 7 PM. This is the latest in the summer that we have ever begun practice. The reason for this is that I wanted you all to experince training truly on your own for a while.

Distance running can be a solitary sport. They didn't come up with the book and movie "The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner" for nothin'. This is why I love distance running. If you are truly going to excell, you have to do it on your own. Coaches can tell you what to do. I could make you guys practice 6 times a week all summer long, riding my bike along side you all and barking at you to run the right pace. This is not what I want for you.

I want you to develop the drive and self determination that will help you succeed in your adult lives. You must develop this drive on your own. I can't give you this drive, nor can your parents, friends or family. All anybody can do is to help you find your own drive. This is why we have not been practicing during June. This is why I've had my 4 team leaders calling people and reminding you to run. You cannot develop your own drive when someone is always driving you. The drive to win and succeed has to come from within the team, not from me.

Send me those mileage totals by sunday evening, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment