Team's Weekly Activity

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Team Mileage Totals are Updated.

Check the links for team mileage totals and group mileage competition. I have had to update some of the mileage groups due to new athletes joining the team and other athletes not showing up.

The lists are up to date as of the end of week 4.

I have also added a workout video to the video page. It features Maggie Vessey, a local (Nor Cal) girl who is now one of the top 800m runners in the world. I chose the video because it shows how cross training can be effectively incorporated into a training program.

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/speaker/4227-maggie-vessey/343137-maggie-vessey-workout-part-1

Pay attention to the video. Although she does a kick butt workout in the morning, she will also go back to the track for a speed workout in the evening. Flotrack just hasn't posted that video yet.

9 comments:

  1. Watched the Vessey gym workout/cross training session. Reminded me of Scarlett's injury lay-off during April and May. (kelly Holmes too did about two years work in the gym before doing her Olympic gold double--age 32-34.) Scarlett benfitted hugely from the 4 weeks she did.

    For information purposes, I'll clue your athletes in on what happened.
    On 17th April, a few weeks before her first track race of the season, Scarlett suffered a stress fracture on her 2nd metatarsel near the lower toe joint.
    For 12 hours a week for 4 weeks, she hit the bike (on a turbo-trainer), an elliptical trainer and did daily circuits (strength, core and flexibility--yoga included).
    When she recovered, after a few weeks easy running, her aerobic conditioning showed significant improvement. At faster speeds, her heart rate had dropped significantly, allowing her to comfortably complete much longer runs, faster.

    PS: she'll be looking to commit manslaughter when she reads this in the morning...it isn't "cool" for Dad's to detail their daughter's training. To try to support your coach's efforts to make you all aware of this aid to your running, I've risked incurring my daughter's wrath.

    Nb: I'm so impressed by the results, I will factor regular cross-training into Scarlett's training henceforth. At Scarlett's age (12), it also cuts down the dangerous wear and tear of too high mileage. Lastly, she loves it, a refreshing, enjoyable change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. manslaughter, you got that right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember, kiddies, that cross training is an excellent supplement to running, but cannot totally supplant it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about supplant, but I'll need a place to plant my dead father...REVENGE OF THE KIDDIES PART ONE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still thinking about what Vessey's coach said about always keeping the legs under stress. And doubling up with gym and track work on the same day, stressing those pins.
    I need to read Peter Coe's book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see the 2nd video...I'm expecting something deeply intense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Peter Coe's book. Read away while you are here and at camp!

    ReplyDelete