Team's Weekly Activity

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Running in the Heat

I'm sitting at my computer right now.  Outside, it is 3:02 PM and 107 degrees Fahrenheit.  I hope none of you decide to go run right now.  Let me give you a few tips on surviving these hot summer days AND managing to get some good running in.

1. Split your runs  Your chances of surviving a 10 mile run in conditions like this are slim.  So, what do you need to do?  Break them up into manageable chunks, which leads me to point #2

2. Run Early  I know you are teenagers.  I know you like to sleep in.  However, it was 91 degrees by 10 AM today.  When I say run early, I mean before the sun comes up.  AKA. 5:00 AM.  You can always get a nap during the middle of the day.

3. Run Late As in, after the sun goes down.  Running late clearly not as good as running early here because: 1) it's hotter, 2) Ozone levels are higher, which will hurt those of you with asthma, and 3) There are more likely to be drunk drivers zooming around if you are running at 10 PM.  You will want your late run to be shorter and right around sunset

If you want to get in those 10 miles, I would make the day look like this.

5:00 AM Wake Up
5:30 AM Run 7 miles
6:15 AM Core
6:30 AM Breakfast
7:00 AM Shower

Then, go about your day. Throwing in a nap after lunch (I could go into the physiological benefits of napping, but you'll just have to trust me here that naps are good.  Almost all professional runners take a mid day nap).

For your evening run, it should look something like this
7:00 PM Run 4-5 miles
7:30 PM run the hose over your head
8:00 PM dinner
8:30 PM cool shower

You'll notice that 7 miles + 5 miles > 10 miles.  This is an added benefit of doubling.....it is much easier to put in solid miles if you run twice.

4. Drink Water You won't get cramps, don't worry.  Drink at least one pint of water prior to your early, cool temp run.  Drink at least a quart of water prior to your evening run.  Drink lots of fluids throughout the day.  You will need them.

5. Watch This Video when you begin to wonder why you are spending your summer waking up early and worrying about fluid consumption when the rest of your friends are partying.

No comments:

Post a Comment